Training the food and health scientists of the future is an important part of IFR’s mission. We offer PhD students a stimulating period of study which prepares them well for a career in academia, industry, government and the research community.
PhD students are hosted in research groups which are headed by world leaders in their field, who are supported by postdoctoral scientists and by dedicated technology and analysis platforms such as metabolomics, proteomics and statistics. Students benefit from easy access to the student life at the University of East Anglia (UEA).
IFR is a partner in the Norwich Biosciences Doctoral Training Partnership Programme, which brings together the resources of the world-class research institutions on the Norwich Research Park. The IFR is also a specialised international training centre for EU PhD students and postdoctoral scientists.
Current PhD studentships
Applications invited from students who wish to self fund or who are applying for scholarships to fund their postgraduate research degree.
Industrialisation of platform chemical production from waste biomass using diverse yeast strains (WALDRON_F17ICASE1)
Why choose the Institute of Food Research?
- You will join one of our small, dedicated research teams that are managed by supervisors with international reputations in their fields
- You will be part of the enthusiastic, self-supporting student community at IFR
- You will become part of a community of over 2,500 scientists working on the Norwich Research Park, a leading centre for research in food, health and the environment.
- You will benefit from high standards of supervisory practice and mentoring for graduate students, which include IFR’s close links and proximity to the University of East Anglia (UEA)
- You can enjoy full access to joint courses at UEA designed to develop generic professional skills
- You will be working and studying in a great environment. The Norwich Research Park boasts 230 hectares of open parkland on the outskirts of the city of Norwich. Norwich itself is a vibrant city, with a superb quality of life, great entertainment, a unique mix of ancient and modern architecture, a top 10 UK shopping centre and good links to London and internationally, via the Norwich International Airport.
Doing a PhD gives students a chance to dedicate themselves to studying important areas of science and health, while obtaining a whole set of skills that should serve them well in their future careers. For a supervisor it is always very rewarding to see the progression of skills and increase in confidence during the PhD-studentship, ultimately leading to the students defending their subject and work during their examination. PhD-students are an important part of IFR, and we do our best to give them everything they need to succeed here, and we are always pleased to see our alumni doing well after leaving the institute.